Thursday, October 13, 2005

Sick Cycle Carousel

"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith." Hebrews 12:2

Great, great song by Lifehouse. It discusses, quite blatantly, the issue of a Believing Spirit pitted against its counterpart, a Sinful Nature. The shame attached to Sin is an ever present problem for some people to deal with. Tiredness and fatigue are present when one tries and tries to beat back Satan and his minions, but to no avail. He is ever vigilant, as we should be if we are to stand a chance in parrying his strikes. However, unlike the Devil, we are human. We are weak and of the flesh. Enter Jesus.
The chorus, "I tried to climb Your steps, I tried to chase You down, I tried to see how low I could get to down to the ground. I tried to earn my way, I tried to change this mind, You better believe that I tried to beat this. When will this end? It goes on and on. Over, and over, and over again. Keep spinning around, I know it won't stop, 'till I step down from this for good." depicts a Christian's struggle very nicely. We want to be pleasing to God, it's the cry of every real Christian's heart. At the same time, we may be struggling with the idea of earning and/or losing God's love, which is completely flawed in logic. That, in a sense, is an effect of pride.
We think that, somehow, we've reached out to God and we can somehow trick Him into loving us more with "good deeds". Similarly, we think that, through our sins, we can somehow make God love us less. If this were true, God would be, as a direct result of our logic, dependent on our actions. The Bible teaches otherwise. God is Previous. He simply IS. He is completely and utterly previous to all things. He was not born, created, or thought up. Whether we believe He is there (or here) or not, He simply is. This is plainly (and simply) stated as God Himself says, "I AM that I AM." (Exodus 3:14).
This raises the question, "What is He, then?" God is Perfect. Perfect in love and thus, everything else that is good and pure. And since His love for us is perfect, it can neither better nor can it worsen. It is complete and whole, standalone and totally independent of us and our deeds. Therefore, we must have the right mind set towards God when tackling our deeds.
Sometimes our struggles and sins seem to be repetitious and repetitious and repetitious and repetitious and repetitious and repetitious and repetitious and repetitious and repetitious and repetitious and repetitious. We say (more to ourselves than to God), "I'm sorry God." and promise, "This'll be the last time I'll say 'This'll be the last time I'll say 'This'll be the last time I'll say 'This'll be the last time I'll say 'This'll be the last time I'll say 'This'll be the last time I'll say 'This'll be the last time I'll say 'This'll be the last time I'll say 'This'll be the last time.''''''".
A sick, cycle carousel that spins and spins around and around. It doesn't really go anywhere but tricks us into thinking it does. And we'll usually stay around, until we fall sick that is. Then we'll step down and probably fall to the ground. That's when we crawl back to a God who watches from the distance, hoping that we'll not play on that one thing in the playground, that we'd open our eyes to see the other slides and swings all the other great things He's laid out before us. We regain our balance by His sturdy hand. Then for some reason, we run back to the spinning carousel. What the eff indeed.
"I guess I kind of thought it would be easier than this, I guess I was wrong. Now one more time." That's our problem. We're constantly guessing and double-guessing. Since our God is independent of all, He is not relative to anything. He is absolute and definite. That's what trusting in God means, if you ask me at least. If we can learn to use Him as a reference point, a starting and ending point for our entire lives and every moment/decision, our lives will be focused and tuned towards the proper fork.

"Alright, let's get this right this time."

Labels:

© 2005-2006 Carl Wong. All unspecified works original content. Not for use without permission.
This page is best viewed with anything following web standards. Sorry IE.