Thursday, June 29, 2006

It's about time!

So I've been reading Wild At Heart by John Eldredge which basically talks about rediscovering what it means to be a man as God intended. I came upon this part half-way-ish through the book, where it talks about sabotaging our own God-given masculine strength. Just read the extract (emphasis not added).
Carl is another young man whom the ladies seem to find especially attractive. I am astounded what young women will offer when they are famished for the love and affirmation they have never had from their fathers. They will throw themselves at a man to get a taste of being wanted, desired. Carl came to me because his sexual activity was out of control. Dozens upon dozens of women offered themselves to him and each time he gave in he felt weakened; his resolve to resist was less the next time around.
Things began to change for Carl when he saw the whole sexual struggle not so much as sin but as a battle for his strength. He wants to be strong, wants it desperately, and that began to fuel his choice to resist. As à Kempis said, "A man must strive long and mightily within himself, before he can learn fully to master himself." Carl and I spent hours praying through every one of those relationships, confessing the sin, breaking the bonds sexual liaisons form between two souls, cleansing his strength, asking God to restore him. He did, and I am grateful to say those days are over for Carl. It wasn't easy, but it was real; he is happily married now.**
Today's lesson: It both rocks and kinda sucks to have your name used in a published piece of work. It's kinda funny to me because, well, it's my name! I'm not about to explain or elaborate for fear of who might be reading this (the Internet isn't quite as private as I'd like sometimes), and how said persons might interpret things. I'll just say that this extract's Carl is somewhat analogous (and I don't mean [just] the part about girls totally digging me, even if it is for all the wrong reasons). *wink wink... nudge nudge... cough cough... cough blood cough blood... choke choke... gasp gasp... die die*
But seriously, the book is great and quite... well, meaningful. I suggest anyone who has a pair (literally) to read it.

** Have we all heard "Question" by Rhett Miller or do I need to post up that one too? It makes me feel like proposing and stuff. Uh, yeah.

© 2005-2006 Carl Wong. All unspecified works original content. Not for use without permission.
This page is best viewed with anything following web standards. Sorry IE.