Friday, September 22, 2006

Void of Heart

Have any of you ever taken the time to sit down and think about all the things you take for granted? I did. It's hard at first, to try and purposely think of what I take for granted, since, afterall, I do take them for granted. I don't tend to pay them much attention, unconsciously accepting that they are constants that will never change. Now look around you, what do you see? Do you see a world that is eternal or temporal? Are your possessions going to last you a year? A decade? A lifetime? Are you even going to own what you own now indefinitely? Do you really even own anything? Is anything really yours to hold on to, forever and ever?
I do take things for granted. I'm human, I make mistakes. I'm proud and I tend to assume that I am in control, that I dictate and decide my destiny, that I am in possession of things both physical and metaphysical that I don't really have any stake in. I fool myself into thinking that this is mine, and so is this, and that, and all these, I own this, this belongs to me, I deserve this and that, I will hold onto this, this is mine alone, I don't need to share, I've this all to myself. But really, what do I own? Myself? Nope, I was supposedly made by God, my physical construct given to me from my parents. My toys? All bought with good money earned by parents (and gifts from others). My experiences? Apparently, all planned by God. My sinful nature? God didn't give that to me, but Adam sure did. My salvation? I'm supposed to be chosen and provided for by God's will alone. My knowledge? All human wisdom/knowledge is given to us from on high. My friends? True friendship isn't by merit, but by design, and since I did not design myself or others, I cannot take credit for any of this.
When it comes down to it, we own nothing. I don't own the clothes on my back, and you don't own your good looks. If we don't own anything, and cannot own anything, we cannot earn anything. We cannot deserve anything or claim any rights. We've no rights to claim! We'ce nothing! Nothing! Where, then, do we look to for purpose, identity, fulfillment, satisfaction, goodness, and life? Go find out.

Labels:

© 2005-2006 Carl Wong. All unspecified works original content. Not for use without permission.
This page is best viewed with anything following web standards. Sorry IE.