Saturday, August 05, 2006

Outside the Box

Now, I've just got a short post in mind, but it's quite an interesting one (I think). I've been considering some very unusual (IMO) ideas lately, and would just like to propose them to you guys here on the P.Pole.
I think nowadays, where young people are learning increasingly more about "romance" and "love" and whatnot, we find ourselves in an interesting age. Flings and instant "relationships" (if they can even be called that) are running rampant and so are what I like to call "heart-wrenchers" (where parts of hearts are torn out and thown into the Sea of Humanity).
So this is where we find ourselves, in a place where lovers are "forever" one day, yet nothing the next, where nothing is certain, where lovers are chosen, but ultimately destiny dictates, where emotions may change like the winds, where love can be bought, where lovers are traded for partners, and so on.
So where am I going with this? This is a light post and should be taken as such. I've just been wodnering about which is scarier, the thought that one could lose someone special within a heartbeat in our modern, instant-satisfant culture, or the thought that one's special someone now could very well be the one for now and forever.
It's an interesting notion, given that most young people in relationships at the moment would probably admit to entertaining some degree of fear for losing what I'd like to call "today's-significant-other", yet I would almost be tempted to bet money that over half have never thought, "What if he/she is the one I'll marry X years down the road? What kind of spouse would he/she be like? What kind of parent would he/she be like? What kind of lover would he/she be like?"
Take it one step further and you'd start wondering like this: "Would I make a good husband/wife? Would I be a good -- nay, great -- example for our children? Would I even know where to start loving someone as myself?" It's one thing to seek out a great spouse. It's another to seek to become a great spouse.
And then this led me to start thinking about what a great spouse would be like -- I was careful not to put "look like". Anyhoo, it's a little bit out of my league to be thinking about this kind of stuff, but hey, I don't think it hurts to think things through (or at least thoroughly).
It's a bit of a strange experience, finding yourself contentedly satisfied with someone, yet feeding the deep urge to march forth -- rather than staying where it's already safe -- is the only way to deepen that satisfaction. I believe that love is found by going on adventures, not by sitting and waiting for it to find you, unless that is your adventure. Nah, I just threw that last one in to mess with your heads. Or did I? O.o

Labels:

Thoughts:

22:33, Blogger ten:

no you didn't... oh wait

 

Post a Comment

Back

© 2005-2006 Carl Wong. All unspecified works original content. Not for use without permission.
This page is best viewed with anything following web standards. Sorry IE.