Saturday, October 14, 2006

Prettiness

So I've been playing with my Windows UI for a long time now, and I've accumulated/gone through a good number of applications/tweaks to make my Windows look pretty (in this case, somewhat like a Mac). I've been running WindowBlinds for a long time, along with Winamp. "OS X Tiger" was my skin back when I made another post like this, but I switched to "OS X Panther" because, well, because it came out, alright?! I was running a classic skin for Winamp awhile back, but I switched over to iChange recently because of the simplicity and fun extra functions of a modern skin--my favourite has got to be the option for background for the song info and whatnot to stay in it (I can change it to any image I want, either pre-made or custom made). I switched from RK Launcher to ObjectDock because, well ObjectDock is a lot better. It's clean and without the annoying glitch of RK where it would reset my settings to a default everytime it was restarted. What else is there not shown in the screenshot... Oh yes, I learned about Launchy from Herm's blog (check "The.Buds" section) and I'm using that to run stuff. I also switched from MS Office to OpenOffice because I needed OO's equation editor (simply named "OpenOffice Math") for Physics and decided, what the hell, I might as well just use all of OO for consistency. If you'll look in the screenshot, you'll see that I'm still running FireFox. I'm a huge FF fanboy (FFF!) and I really think everyone needs to get it and use it. It just rocks. And beside it in the taskbar is Adobe CS2, a recent acquisition, and a definite upgrade from (the slightly n00bish in retrospect) Adobe Elements 3.0 that I was using for image editing. All in all, I like the way my desktop looks right now, and probably won't be changing too much for another little while.

Labels: ,

Thoughts:

19:23, Blogger blkmage:

I can't tell from your screenshot, but if you haven't already, get Lucida Grande and us it as the system font with ClearType turned on, and it will look like OS X.

If you like Launchy, remind me to show you Quicksilver. Oh, Quicksilver, it's just not the same when I use a computer without it.

 
19:26, Blogger blkmage:

Oh yeah, and OO.o Math was the same reason I started using OO.o for everything. Of course, now, I use LaTeX for everything because I'm in love with typesetting.

 

Post a Comment

Back

© 2005-2006 Carl Wong. All unspecified works original content. Not for use without permission.
This page is best viewed with anything following web standards. Sorry IE.