Sunday, January 14, 2007

info @ the P.Pole 01.14.07

5 titles I'm hoping to buy sooner or later:
  • "God of War I & II" for the PS2 (I've been meaning to get this and it's right up one of my alleys, so I can't say why I haven't yet)
  • "Me and My Katamari" for the PSP (everything I've heard about it is amazing)
  • " Winning Eleven 11" for the PS2 (when it comes out)
  • "Half-Life 2" for the PC (I've already got the machine for it, might as well)
  • "Metal Gear Solid 4" for the PS3 (here's a good excuse to get a PS3)
So it's been awhile now since the releases of Nintendo's Wii and Sony's PS3. I must admit right off the bat that I'm a Playstation fanboy. It was my first console and still my favourite series of consoles. If you've been speaking to me about video games, you'll know what I think/thought about the Wii. It's childish, mostly a novelty, etc... Of course, it does have its merits (like getting my arm to ache from a mere half an hour of gaming) and is quite nicely packaged. Yet, part of me has the gut feeling that the Wii just won't last as a serious gaming console. Sure, it's popular now for its low price and somewhat interesting gameplay, but when it comes down to it, its got no lasting intrigue (at least not for me). I really can't see myself parking my ass down to play a hardcore RPG or FPS with the Wii. I also can't see myself playing a next-gen Final Fantasy title or Metal Gear Solid title on it either.
The PS3, though pricey, is looking pretty stacked. Sure, it's been slow out of the gates so far, but once we start seeing some price drops and heavy-hitter titles being released, we're all going to see the PS3 whoop some next-gen gaming ass. It's more powerful than the Wii by far, and runs on disks that can store 5 times the information as the Xbox 360's. That's 5x more gaming goodness, be it graphics, map size, length, whatever. I think it's safe to say that the PS3 is the most stacked of the next-gen consoles, and time will prove that it payed off for Sony to wait that extra year or so before releasing and for customers to cough up that extra couple hundred. Trust me, in a few years, we're going to see Sony swimming in cash from intelligent gamers and fanboys like me.

Labels: ,

Thoughts:

23:48, Blogger blkmage:

I find it interesting that you mention RPGs and FPSes as areas where Playstations are good at. I consider them more PC genres more than anything else. Granted, console RPGs are a different beast from PC RPGs, but I am awful at using a controller for FPS. Give me a mouse and keyboard any day.

I'm pretty sure you're familiar with what I think of the PS3, but in general, it has to do with a general lack of interest and a dislike for Sony, the corporation, not unlike my dislike for Microsoft, and for many of the same reasons.

 

Post a Comment

Back

© 2005-2006 Carl Wong. All unspecified works original content. Not for use without permission.
This page is best viewed with anything following web standards. Sorry IE.