Monday, December 18, 2006

info @ the P.Pole 12.18.06

In keeping with the "spirit of the season" I was about to start firing off more items (mostly material goodies) that I wouldn't mind getting/getting money for this Christmas (since, as we all know through television and peer pressure, stuff is the real reason behind Christmas), such as a new mouse (hopefully corded and also hopefully from Logitech's MX500 series) for gaming, or maybe a sweet new keyboard (I'm tapping away on something close to a relic right now). Then I remembered how lucky we in the Global North really are, with our fancy underpants and whatnot. You've got to admit though, it's quite easy to get caught up with all the "I want this!" and "I need that!" hype that comes with the season. Anyway, I decided on not getting that new mouse (I was actually very close to ordering it on Amazon today) nor am I going to buy a new keyboard anytime soon. I even told my parents to refund their gift for me (which was, conveniently enough, an optical wireless desktop set). Don't read this as me coming across as self-righteous or "Look at me, I'm not buying stuff! I'm not selfish like you!" because I openly admit that I am selfish.
My group presented our adaptation of Oedipus Rex today for English class to the infamous Olsheski. We were decked out in fancy costumes (mostly dress shirts and coats) and delivered our lines with nothing short of imperfect memorization, but Olsheski--instead of hating the entire thing like I had expected--loved it. She thought the script was "tight" and quite "intelligent". She loved the quirky little inventions of ours that brought out our individual characters throughout the production and our clever use of technology to bring out the context (which didn't seem too innovative at the time of conception: "Hey, let's have a PowerPoint."), and our use of sarcasm and satire (that was mostly for kicks). I hate to admit it, but it felt nice to finally have work appreciated by her, regardless of how much I dislike her character. On top of it all, Yun told her that the script was my personal brainchild, resulting in her heaping many kind words onto my head for the piece. What the heck am I supposed to do with that?! I mumbled a quick and awkward "Thanks" and prayed that she'd move on. It felt good though, to have the rest of my group members quietly thank me for compiling/writing the script. I also didn't know what to say except, "Thanks, but it was a team effort that made it work." Anyway, it went off without a hitch (if you don't count our small number of mishaps and skipped lines) and everyone (except the other Oedipus Rex group) thought it a funny adaptation of a normally very serious/solemn story. As for the other group that had already presented their version, no hard feelings (even though some of you tried to screw us over during the comments portion of the class).

Labels:

© 2005-2006 Carl Wong. All unspecified works original content. Not for use without permission.
This page is best viewed with anything following web standards. Sorry IE.