Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Scarborough Grace

I stopped by Scarborough Grace General today. It was the first time since I'd broken my arm 3 summers ago that I've visited the place for myself. This time it wasn't for something nearly as cool or interesting. Without sharing about why I went (cause it's a bit of a weird/gross thing to actually have to talk about), all I can say that I was supposed to have a relatively minor surgical operation done today (not a circumcision or anything like that!). I was actually pretty nervous about the whole thing. I'm not going to act like the idea of having a part of my body sliced open (by someone else!) and having it probed and poked (also by someone else!) didn't get me at least a little anxious. Who was this doctor?! Yes, I was referred to him by my oh so reliable family doctor (with whom I've been since I was a baby) so he must be pretty good (not to mention having 20 years of experience in his field) but still, I didn't know what to expect and that was the part that bugged me the most. I didn't know exactly what he would do, how he would do it, and for how long I might be recovering for. It was a minor operation, but still. A broken arm being casted is one thing. Having someone knifing me on my volition is another.
I found myself asking my mother what this doctor was like and about what some of her friends (who have had the same problem as me treated before) out of my anxiety. To tell the truth, finding out the truth about it all wasn't worth it--ignorance is bliss. It just made me even more fretful. Anyway, I slept surprisingly easily and didn't want to wake this morning.
After dropping off my mom and sister at work and school respectively, and breakfast with my dad at a small Chinese cafe/restaurant (you know, the kind they have all over the place in HK), we headed for Scarborough Grace. We waited for what seemed like--well, not too long, since I was playing Winning Eleven on my PSP--awhile, I got to meet my doc. It turns out the doctor, one Dr. Carlos Alvarez (Spanish), decided I could get away with following a set of much less invasive instructions and I'd be able to fix myself with much less hassle. Obviously, I took the less invasive, self-administered treatment over having some stranger cutting me open to see what the problem was.

Lesson of the Day: Scrubs-pitals and hospit-actuals are totally different. Or maybe that's just Scarborough Grace...

To make things even better on top of my avoided surgery, I get to skip the whole day of school. Win!

Labels:

Thoughts:

15:34, Anonymous Anonymous:

oh sick
i think it'd be fun to work/ hang out in a hospital. all we need is a blonde doctor who sneezes with her eyes open, a bald black surgeon by the name of brown bear, some short feisty *old* lady able to speak the spanish language, and a white doctor who wears onesies to bed. not hard at all. ._o

 

Post a Comment

Back

© 2005-2006 Carl Wong. All unspecified works original content. Not for use without permission.
This page is best viewed with anything following web standards. Sorry IE.