Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Economics SL Paper 2

Today I wrote the second (final!) paper of my Economics exam and I must say, I'm feeling pretty good about it. It's easy to feel good about doing decent but not exceptional after writing a paper like yesterday's. I answered 3 of the 5 possible questions (don't worry, you're supposed to do that) and I think I related all three to development economics in one way or another.
Before the exam I said to Shivon, "I'm heading straight for the market failure and development questions."
  • Question 2 dealt with malaria treatments serving as merit goods (market failure) and African governments encouraged to purchase large scale orders of the treatments (development).
  • Question 4 had to do with less developed countries (LDC) selling sugar on international markets (international trade) and inability of LDC firms to compete with subsidized exporters from more developed countries (development).
  • Question 5 discussed the effectiveness of the policies of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and World Bank for improving the standard of life and economic growth in LDCs (development).
So I kept my promise. Three times over. I actually didn't expect that many development geared questions (since there are usually only one or two per year that relate to each section) but some overlap allowed me to have my way (fun!) with the question. As soon as Uganda was mentioned, I knew I could drag in development economics. It's almost sick how I profited from their suffering... Well, not really.
After the exam we had some two-on-two action in the field with four of us guys (we played frisbee). Then Shivon and I headed for SUBWAY for some quick eats (I didn't have any cash on me but Shivon spotted me with his debit card) before returning to school to meet up with Kishon who just finished writing his academic economics exam. Apparently, it was a joke.
With a French exam tomorrow (both papers with 30 minutes break in between) I decided to hit up Shivon's house for some review. We basically spent 3 hours writing practice/previous exams. The ones from 2003 and before are insane. I averaged 80% or so on all of them but then again, they were, in Shivon's words, "F*ckin' hard." So if I can score decently on those (and before bell curve too) then I shouldn't do too poorly on tomorrow's since they've gotten progressively easier over the years. Confidence will either save me or screw me now.

Labels: ,

Thoughts:

11:38, Blogger sherman:

I find it amazing that you can remember every minute detail of an exam you wrote. Most others write it and once they hand it in, there is no recollection of what they wrote.

Subway is quite deceiving.

-sherm

 

Post a Comment

Back

© 2005-2006 Carl Wong. All unspecified works original content. Not for use without permission.
This page is best viewed with anything following web standards. Sorry IE.