Saturday, December 31, 2005

Leaves from the Cork Tree

Yeah, I dig Fall Out Boy. People say From Under the Cork Tree is not quite as yummy as their older stuff, but it's still really good. Here are a bunch of lines from the album:

"It's just past 8 and I'm feeling young and reckless
The ribbon on my wrist says, 'Do not open before Christmas.'"
- Our Lawyer Made Us Change The Name of This Song So We Wouldn't Get Sued

"You only hold me up like this
'Cause you don't know who I really am.
Sometimes I just want to know what it's like to be You.
We're making out inside crashed cars.
We're sleeping through all our memories.
I used to waste my time dreaming of being alive;
Now I only waste it dreaming of You.
"
- Of All The Gin Joints In All The World

"She says she's no good with words but I'm worse.
Barely stuttered out
A joke of a romantic -- it's stuck to my tongue.
Weighed down with words too over-dramatic:
Tonight it's, 'It can't get much worse.'
Versus, 'No one should ever feel like...'

I'm two quarters and a heart down,
And I don't want to forget how Your voice sounds.
These words are all I have so I'll write them,

So you'll need them just to get by."
- Dance Dance

"Is this more than you bargained for? Yet...
Oh don't mind me, I'm watching you two from the closet,
Wishing to be the friction in your jeans.
Isn't it messed up how I'm just dying to be Him?
I'm just a notch in your bedpost,
But you're just a line in a song.
Drop a heart, break a name.
We're always sleeping in, and sleeping for the wrong team."
- Sugar We're Going Down Swinging

"I keep my jealousy close,
'Cause it's all mine.
And if you say this makes you happy,
Then I'm not the only one lying."
- Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner

"Joke me something awful,
Just like kisses on the necks of 'best friends'.
We're the kids who feel like dead ends,
And I want to be known for my hits, not just my misses.
I took a shot -- and didn't even come close --
At trust and love and hope.

And the poets are just kids who didn't make it,
And never had it at all."
- I've Got A Dark Alley And A Bad Idea That Says You Should Shut Your Mouth (Summer Song)

"I'm sleeping my way out of this one
With anyone who will lie down.
I'll be stuck fixated on One Star
When the world is crashing down.
I keep telling myself (I keep telling myself)
I'm not the desperate type,
But
you've got me looking in through blinds."
- 7 Minutes In Heaven (Atavan Halen)

"Are we growing up or just going down?
It's just a matter of time until we're all found out.
Take our tears and put them on ice.
'Cause
I swear I'd burn this city down to show you the light.
There's a drug in the thermostat to warm the room up,
And there's another around to help us bend your trust.
I've got a sunset in my veins,
And I need to take a pill to make this town feel okay."
- Sophomore Slump Or Comeback Of The Year

"You are a getaway car, a rush of blood to the head.
But me? I'm just the covers on top of your bed.
You steer away in a rear view mirror. You make my head swim.
I keep you warm and won't ask you where you've been."
- Champagne For My Real Friends, Real Pain For My Sham Friends

"They call kids like us vicious and carved out of stone,
But for what we've become, we just feel more alone.
Always weigh what I've got against what I left.
So progress report: I am missing You to death."
- I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me

(this next one is a long one)
"And you're just the girl all the boys want to dance with.
And
I'm just the boy who's had too many chances.
I'm sleeping on your folk's porch again, dreaming.
She said, 'Why don't you just drop dead?'
I don't blame you for being you,
But you can't blame me for hating it.
So say, 'What are you waiting for?'
Kiss her! Kiss her!
I set my clocks early 'cause I know I'm always late.
Write me off, give up on me,
'Cause darling, what did you expect?
I'm just off, a lost cause.
A long shot, don't even take this bet.
You can make all the moves, you can aim all the spotlights,
Get all the sighs and the moans just right.
"
- A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More 'Touch Me'

(this next one's a spoken free verse poem at the end of the song)
"From day one I talked about getting out,
But not forgetting about,
How my worst fears are letting out.
He said, 'Why put a new address
On the same old loneliness?'
When breathing just passes the time,
Until we all just get old and die.
Now talking's just a waste of breath,
And living's just a waste of death.
And why put a new address
On the same old loneliness?
And
this is You and me,
And me and you,
Until We've got nothing left.
"
- Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dying (Do Your Part To Save The Scene And Stop Going To Shows)

"To the love, I left my conscience pressed
Between the pages of the Bible in the drawer.
"What did it ever do for me?" I say.
It never calls me when I'm down.
Love never wanted me,
But I took it anyway.

Put your ear to the speaker,
And choose love or sympathy,
But never both."
- XO


Man, these guys are so emo! Not quite as emo as Bright Eyes, though the both of them have a lot of lyrics to do with sex... These guys don't make you feel sad though... not me anyway. I dunno.

EDIT: Um... Happy new year to everyone (though I wonder how people can be such idiots about it). People hate getting older -- women and men (just look at mid-life crisises where husbands have been known to leave their beautiful wives for younger, more 'pretty' wives, which I find a pretty bad testimony towards faithfulness unto death) -- yet can celebrate a new year by, of all things, staying up late, getting drunk, and being hung-over in the morning. (=_=) Anyway, to all you people who really aren't afraid of getting old and dying, me included, I wish a for an actually happy new year.

Labels: ,

Thoughts:

23:04, Blogger melissa:

OH nightmare before christmas! that's a good movie =D har har it was on tv once xP when you guys were in school. HA lol...

thanks for the talk eh? =) have a merry new year x)

 

Post a Comment

Back

© 2005-2006 Carl Wong. All unspecified works original content. Not for use without permission.
This page is best viewed with anything following web standards. Sorry IE.