Saturday, March 03, 2007

Learn Some New Moves

I've recently discovered the wonders of MediaMax and their awesome online services (25 GB of media file storage, sharing, and 1 GB hosting per month all for free). With that said, I've got more flexibility with the kind of stuff I can do with firstly my music and secondly the P.Pole. I don't know if any of my readers actually bookmark this page but even if you don't, you'll notice the P.Pole now has its own "Favourites Icon" beside its URL in your address bar/tab title and beside its item in your bookmarks list. I couldn't do that with Photobucket (by the way Photobucket, I know this is short notice but we're over, sorry). I promptly switched over all my image hosting needs to my MediaMax account (I'm not going to run out of image hosting bandwidth with their 1 gig/month of hosting versus Photobucket's pitiful 20 megs/month). My top and bottom banners are now switched over and so are the list icons and other little bits of stuff I've tailor made to fit the P.Pole just right (yeah, I'm an OCD freak, get over it).
I've also been spending more time on my Windows XP account lately (mostly for some gaming and whatnot) as opposed to my Vista partition. As a result, I've gotten to playing with my GUI again. Here is an updated snapshot of my desktop as of right now. The wallpaper belongs to an amazing anime series called (in the words of Amy) "Furi Kuri / Fooly Cooly / フリクリ / FLCL (Pick one)". I heard about this anime awhile back from the already mentioned Amy (from school) but I never bothered to watch it (partly because I couldn't figure out how to spell it based on her telling me the name verbally). It's a great anime, I'd say pretty much as good as Haruhi (but of course, none can take Haruhi off her golden pedestal in my books). Anyway, that wallpaper's from a DeviantARTist and I figured it'd look sweet with the Winamp skin shown (Avalon 1.2, also discovered on DeviantART). The theme is OSX Leopard Beta (Pinstripe) by dobee (yeah I reverted back to my OSX fetish today).
Getting back to Furi Kuri, I finished the sixth and final episode today (having started the first episode last night, just to give you an idea of how short/sweet/intriguing the series is) and I'm very impressed. The artwork is beautiful and I don't think I ever caught instances of the makers cutting any corners or cheating by reusing footage (which is common in less-than-amazing animes). The characters were terribly interesting and quirky. Plotwise FLCL was solid and extremely thought provoking (that's the best I can describe it, you really have to watch it yourself to get what I'd mean if I tried to explain). The entire series screamed of wacky humour that was a fun break from the usual North American humour of Avatar or serious-ish humour of Haruhi. What I enjoyed the most, however, was the stellar soundtrack, composed entirely of music coming from an alternative Japanese rock band called the Pillows. From the moment I began watching, I immediately noticed the quality of the soundtrack. The Pillows are catchy. Enough said.

Labels: , ,

© 2005-2006 Carl Wong. All unspecified works original content. Not for use without permission.
This page is best viewed with anything following web standards. Sorry IE.