Friday, June 15, 2007

Blueprint

...was the name of this year's edition of the Vic Park yearbook. It was a long year of hard work and to be frank, I'm not sure it payed off. Before I go headlong into a rant about all the things wrong with it, I want to at least give congratulations to Amreet in particular since his sports section was nuts (in the good way). I also want to mention that the cover is pretty neat looking and some other pages (few and far apart) are pretty nice too. Now, let's get into the heart of things: why does this yearbook suck?
First off, let's just get this out of the way: not everyone on the committee/team was cut out for the job in the first place. When working on pages that are going to go into a yearbook, graphics and a good sense of design is very very necessary. I'm going to come right out and say that nearly everyone on the yearbook committee this year, honestly, had little to no experience working with Photoshop/digital image manipulation software. This isn't coming from having to field questions about how to do things (which I did) or from having them admit the fact (which no one did), but from just looking at the kind work put out by some of the members.
Designing a page around the theme of "blue prints" is a little more than tacking on a graph-paper background and throwing text on top (well, at least not for every single page). I did that once, but the idea of the page was to keep things clean and simple (the page was titled "Basic Principles" and it was the principals' page). This also happened to be the page I had to rush because the head editor "forgot" n times over the course of 6 months (while being reminded by me quite often) to get the photos and write ups I needed, not to mention losing the write ups once after finally getting them.
Lesson #1: Only take people onto the yearbook committee who actually have Photoshop experience. The reason those people (mostly Indian girls, not that that has anything to do with anything) even got on the committee was because they all happened to be Sheliza's friends. Therefore, the blame falls mostly/completely on Sheliza for this one.
Next we've got the fact that many simple things went completely catastrophically wrong for no good reason apart from negligence on the part of people doing administrative work. The way we do things is as follows: first, pages are mocked up and then created as semi-roughs which are sent for "proofing" to the plant which sends us back what the page would look like in the book so that we can make corrections and send back the good copy with changes and extra info (such as spot colour hue and positioning). For one thing, I had pages with spot colouring that I didn't even want to be coloured (thus effectively wasting the colouring we payed for) since it'd look better without it.
Whoever was on admin decided for me that these pages would receive spot colour treatment anyway. To make matters worse, the tones of blue chosen for my pages were completely off. For example, let's take an example of graph-paper blue vs. a dark but not quite navy blue. Those two are both blues but the latter makes black text placed on top completely illegible and reading painful to do. To make things even worse, the positioning/shape of the colour (which is printed separate of the first B&W printing) was totally off/not quite enough, leaving blank white bits all over the place. Ugly.
Another thing that admin screwed up on was the submitting of corrected pages. After getting the proofs back, we make corrections and then send the plant finalized versions. I remember correcting and resubmitting a candids page (basically a page with loads of photos) to be resent to the plant. Well thanks to the awesome admin people we've got (who are still remaining nameless until I finish ranting about this) the plant never got the updated/fixed page because of, well, nothing. I'm guessing the person doing the collection and distribution of corrections just... never got around to it and sent out "corrected pages" (the same pages we got back with all the mistakes) without actually repackaging the final pages. Way to stay on task.
Lesson #2: Make sure your administration staff/person is reliable and knows what they are doing. I do believe this year's admin person was mainly... oh that's right, Sheliza again, the head editor. Thanks for screwing with my pages Shez, you're the best.
One thing that was told to me and everyone else on the team by both Ms. Leung (the staff supervisor) and Sheliza our head editor was to make sure not to put loads of photos of ourselves in our own sections since that is generally frowned upon. I actually got told off for putting three photos from the yearbook camp/retreat of not only myself but other members too on my candids page (which had at LEAST 100+ small thumbnail sized photos). Then lo and behold, we find about a zillion pictures of certain people on yearbook in the final section of the book (which is devoted to messages from the yearbook executives). That wouldn't be a problem since those pages ARE to recognize the committee members, but when 99% of the photos include either only the head editor (who is responsible for the section) or photos of the head editor and her friends, then we've got a huge problem. Can you spell hypocrite?
The messages themselves were all written up and handed in, but some people were given much more page space than others for no reason. Sheliza had tons, but she's the head editor so she's supposed to have lots of stuff to say. Mona, on the other hand, was just another editor but also had an ass-load of space to write up, whereas other people--who, in my opinion, did much more work--had to settle with very little. Simply astonishing.
I wouldn't have too much of a problem with hypocrisy (since we are all tempted into doing it from time to time) if the rest of the messages from the committee were at least typed up properly. Scanning through the messages written, I found a few people's messages (including mine) were completely screwed up. This screwage includes double typing some sentences as if the copy+paste went completely berserk or something, irregular text formatting (e.g. making some letters within a word black instead of white when failing to highlight the entire paragraph for formatting), and even cutting messages short, in mid-sentence! It's almost as if... hm... the pages were done in the final minutes before the due date. Great work ethic, whoever was responsible.
Lesson #3: What can I say? Teams can only work as well as the heads. And when leaders are petty, sloppy, incompetent slackers who play favourites, well, you can guess at the kind of final product you'd get from it all. This year's head editor was... Surprise! Sheliza! Let's have a round of applause!
So all in all, I'm pretty angry about how this yearbook turned out (especially at how some of my pages look). The spot colouring was off completely--in my defense, I mentioned not having it on those pages because they'd look better than way but Sheliza ended up doing it anyway because "we paid for it" and what kind of reasoning is that by the way? The corrections I made weren't even submitted. My message at the end of the book was one of the ones that were completely raped, hands down on the ground. This whole year's worth of working under Sheliza has been by and large a huge hassle. At this point I'm pretty much miles past the line of diplomacy and I'm just bashing her but really, find one argument I've made that wasn't valid. I'm sure I haven't nailed everything in this one post but I doubt we need anymore to work with. This rant is ending here and I hope I never have to do this kind of thing again.
Final Lesson: Get rid of Sheliza. Really, just, do it. Get her gone. That is all.

NOTE: I'll post some photo evidence/examples after Mediamax gets back online from maintenance.

EDIT: Here are the pics of what I've been ranting on about.
The Good:
The Bad:
The Raped:
I think that about sums it up. I've only got one or two pages that I am proud of in the entire yearbook, and one of those is the World Events Spread (click here for my original digital render). I'm pretty sure the only reason that one turned out the way it was supposed to was because I didn't leave any part of it to anyone else to take care of. Sorry, but that's how I'm saying it.

Labels: , , ,

Thoughts:

08:27, Blogger Addone:

In life...we are destined to experience the good, the bad and the fugly. It takes a certain level of maturity to admit to one's incompetence and to take it with a grain of salt. That, and pride.

God bless on the exams.

 
22:22, Anonymous Anonymous:

You are right, this year's book looks like it's in the middle stages of editing by a bunch of middle school kids. Every single person in the school buys the yearbook, and will see the huge crap the team took on top of 3/4 of the it. Aren't they even a little embarrassed that the whole school has to look at this junk? What's worse is that even though you know that you did your parts correctly you are associated with them and their bad work.

I know that there's a part in the grad section somewhere that says "replace this photo with a prom pic, keep this for now" and a girl has her eyes closed. Very poor editing. The principals page is very out of place with the bright blue colours compared to the rest of the book.

The world events spread is an awesome display of photo editing skills, I personally liked that page.

Thank god the abomination is leaving next year, I doubt it could get much worse.

 

Post a Comment

Back

© 2005-2006 Carl Wong. All unspecified works original content. Not for use without permission.
This page is best viewed with anything following web standards. Sorry IE.