Tuesday, June 12, 2007

ObjectDock 1.9

Lately I've ditched my XP partition almost completely (I haven't used it for a month and the last time I did was yesterday to try and open a corrupted file). I'm not missing the clutter and crap of XP. Now I've got the clutter and crap of Vista! I got curious today and checked the List to see which docking programs were compatible with Vista and to see whether my (favourite) ObjectDock by Stardock was on the List. Luckily, it was and I promptly downloaded version 1.9 (some previous ones don't work w/ Vista). I spent the next hour or so tweaking, making icons, disabling Windows functions (such as the standard taskbar) and just having a fun time with my new dock. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out (click the thumbnail for a full view of my desktop... in full resolution too!). I'd rather be running on 1280 x 1024 but my new monitor/my dad's old monitor (I switched to a newer LCD monitor when my old one started showing ugly-coloured spots of pink and green...) doesn't support that high of a res. Anyway, that menu collapses into the bottom of my window and the Vista icon/start menu button doesn't show unless I press the Windows key (pretty neat actually). I still have all the functionality of the taskbar AND start menu, but a more clean look. The only downside to this all is that I can't view my system tray icons unless I go into object dock's preferences and un-check "Hide Windows task bar." Then again, I don't use my tray very much anyway...

EDIT: Rocketdock is part of Punk Software brand wares. There's also Uber Icon (

Labels: , , ,

Thoughts:

23:45, Blogger hoimin:

i just heard about rocketdock. will be giving it a whirl come july. apparently, if you use it as a taskbar, it has a real-time miniature screenshot in Vista (i.e. video continues to play in the little icon on the dock).

http://www.punksoftware.com/rocketdock

 

Post a Comment

Back

© 2005-2006 Carl Wong. All unspecified works original content. Not for use without permission.
This page is best viewed with anything following web standards. Sorry IE.