Saturday, July 07, 2007

God's Jackpot

I don't mean to associate God with gambling or anything but today's date is exactly all made up of sevens -- 07.07.07 -- and I think it's also strangely fitting to have my 490th post on such a day (490 = 7 x 70 of course). Seeing as how seven is supposedly God's number, I figured today would be a holy jackpot of sorts... I don't really have anything specific I want to talk about so I suppose I'll write about my comings and goings of late.
As mentioned before, I decided to write about one Clive Staples Lewis for a pretty big paper. To date, I've read all of "The Magician's Nephew" and approximately thirty-four pages of "The Pilgrim's Regress" which is a bit of strange book to say the least. It's not a novel or narrative per se. It is sort of like an allegorical story but on crack where everything is very obviously representative of something else, and dabbling heavily in Christian and Biblical themes. It's a slower read than "The Magician's Nephew" -- the likes of which I thoroughly enjoyed, mind you.
After reading just the first book of "The Chronicles of Narnia" series, I've grown quite fond of Lewis' writing style and quirky humour. I'm beginning to understand why he's so admired by so many people. It has something to do, I think, with his almost childlike demeanor in viewing, constructing, and describing his ideas.
Anyway, this coming week is looking packed with LoaH and Summer Retreat practices and I'm quite looking forward to them. IMO the best part about serving in a musical capacity is the practice and fellowship time I get to have with my peers/teammates. I mean, playing and actually leading is exhilarating too, but I don't really take more joy in that part than one should (since it's leading and not soaking that I'm supposed to be doing). LoaH songs are sounding pretty good for the most part after our intense practice the other day -- Eric (vocals and guitar), Stephen (drums), Adwin (electric guitar), and I (bass) practiced without Melissa Kwan (second vocals) this Thursday morning for three hours. Retreat worship is also looking pretty good so far, but that is to be expected with the competent leadership of mainly Katherine and Gabriel. I think playing my bass in these kinds of settings is pretty much the best part of my summers nowadays. With no job (part-time or otherwise) in sight, I'm going to make playing my summer (pre)occupation for this year pretty much.
My aunt and uncle (Monique and Jock respectively) are over from the states with their young son, Philip. Before you go "Haha, sucker!" because of the addition of an extra young'un (my sister + Philip = 2 little and potentially annoying kids) in my vicinity, I want to sneer at you because with Philip here, my sister is officially sleeping over for the duration of their trip. And with them (my aunt, uncle, and cousin) staying with my grandparents, I am virtually un-childbearing. This means I can do all the things I couldn't do at home (with my sister around) before, like leave my stuff out without fear of annihilation and play with my more dangerous toys (like my totally hot Zippo and... I don't have any other violent toys actually). Of course, this liberation comes at the price of having my aunt and uncle randomly coming over to borrow my wireless Internets... That leads to me thinking "GTFO my Internets before I telegib you." but saying "Hi, welcome! Feel free to use it as you please."

Labels: , , ,

Thoughts:

00:31, Blogger blkmage:

Throttle Internets based on device?

 
00:46, Anonymous Anonymous:

hehehehehehehehehehe

*lower voice
hehehehehehehehehehe

 

Post a Comment

Back

© 2005-2006 Carl Wong. All unspecified works original content. Not for use without permission.
This page is best viewed with anything following web standards. Sorry IE.