Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Vista Fraggers

Remember a couple months ago when I went on and on about my mail-order gaming mouse? Well, when I got my Logitech MX310 I had to tweak my driver files (read: overclock my mouse) before I could take full advantage of the mouse's abilities. Ever since I migrated to Vista, I've never gotten too much into the FPS games since my mouse ran at the average polling rate of ~125 Hz which just doesn't cut it when I'm trying to blow a baddy's head off with a 50 caliber sniper rifle.
Up until today, my searches for a way to overclock my USB ports on Vista turned up nothing. I don't know whether it was my searching or people not having invented some way of doing it yet. Anyway, long story short, for all those fragging on Vista, check out this thread (you need to register on Overclock3d.net to download the zip file) to overclock your own ports for better and smoother fragging all around. I am now happily chugging along at ~450 Hz.
Click for a larger versionIn related news, Battlefield 2142 is fun. It was fun even when I could hardly aim but now that I've got almost 4x the sniping power, well, it's great fun and I'd suggest it to anyone with even a half-decent machine to give it a go. I just can't wait until Gears of War comes out for PC. Curbstomping and chainsawing can never be a bad combination.

Labels: ,

© 2005-2006 Carl Wong. All unspecified works original content. Not for use without permission.
This page is best viewed with anything following web standards. Sorry IE.